RAMALLAH, July 9 (Xinhua) -- Palestine on Thursday recorded three new COVID-19 deaths in the West Bank, raising the death toll to 27 since March 5.
The Palestinian Ministry of Health said in an emailed press statement that the three victims included a woman and two elderly men.
It also reported 262 new cases of COVID-19 infection, raising the tally of confirmed cases to 5,829 in the Palestinian territories.
The new cases are from the cities of Ramallah, Hebron, Tulkarem, Bethlehem, Nablus, Jericho, Jordan Valley and East Jerusalem, it said.
In light of the latest upsurge in the number of cases in Palestine, the Palestinian government has decided to renew the lockdown for another five days and tighten the precautionary measures in the West Bank.
Earlier this week, Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas renewed the state of emergency for another 30 days in the Palestinian territories.